Please note that all deadlines refer to the Central European Time (CET).
How do I register?
- To register for the 22nd Annual Congress of the ECSS, first, you will be asked to create your ECSS account. However, the creation of your ECSS account does not mean you are registered yet. Entering your ECSS account you will be able to submit your abstract and pay your registration fee online.
- Once you have paid your registration fee you have successfully registered for the congress.
In which category should I register?
- The congress registration categories are divided into ECSS Member 2017, ECSS Student Member 2017, Non Member and Non Student Member. Please make sure to choose your registration category carefully!
How can I pay my registration fee?
- Please pay your congress registration fee within your ECSS account. Payments will be possible online via following credit cards: VisaCard, MasterCard, American Express and Maestro.
- To print your payment invoice (before the payment) or the payment receipt at any time, please login to your ECSS account. Once you are logged in to your ECSS account, please scroll down. Underneath your account details is a section containing your congress data. If you have paid your congress registration fee you are able to click on 'congress payment receipt'.
How do I know that I successfully registered?
- You will be able to check your registration status within your ECSS account anytime.
When is the registration deadline?
- Deadline for registration for presenting authors is 1st May 2017. Congress participants, that are not presenting will be able to register until 5th July 2017.
How can I cancel my registration?
Please note: For written cancellations received before 31st May 2017 the cancellation fee is 100,- EUR. Thereafter no refund will be paid on the registration fees. The hotel reservations have a seperate cancellation policy.
How do I apply for visa? How do I obtain an invitation letter?
How do I submit an abstract?
- enter/create your ECSS account
- go to “myCongress data administration”
- submit your abstract following the link “Send an abstract” (we accept only online abstract submissions!)
- preview and confirm the abstract you intend to submit
- receive your notification about acceptance in your ECSS account on the 1st April 2017
- pay your registration fee before the 1st May 2017 – abstracts will be deleted in those accounts not paid
- edit your personal details if needed
- check your registration status
- print your Invoice/Receipt/Letter of acceptance/Letter of presentation from your ECSS account
Your registration will only be c o m p l e t e d by p a y m e n t of registration fee.
When is the deadline for submitting an abstract?
- The deadline for abstract submission is 15th February 2017.
What are the submission criteria?
- Please find detailed information on the abstract submission here.
How many abstracts am I allowed to submit?
- An author may submit a maximum of one abstract as first author. It is possible to appear as co-author on other abstracts.
How do I know that I successfully submitted my abstract?
- You will be able to check your abstract submission status within your ECSS account anytime.
Will my abstract be published?
- All accepted abstracts will be published in the proceedings of the 22nd Annual Congress of the ECSS, preconditioned the first author of the abstract is registered and has paid congress registration fee.
What are the presentation formats and is there a time limit for the presentations?
Oral presentation format is PowerPoint. Oral presentation time will be 10 minutes plus 5 minutes of discussion. Oral presentations must be pre-uploaded in the Speakers Ready Room one day in advance of your presentation (Wednesday morning for presentations on Wednesday afternoon). The use of your own laptop or USB is not permitted.
Mini-Oral presentation requires the pre-upload of a PowerPoint presentation in pdf format (4 slides only) in landscape (horizontal). The presentation time is 2 minutes plus 2 minutes Questions and Answers. The PowerPoint presentation in pdf format must be pre-uploaded right in advance of the congress via your ECSS account (deadline 15th June 2017). For more information on pdf upload please click here. At the same time the PowerPoint presentation in pdf format will be made available online and on screen at the 22nd annual congress of the ECSS in MetropolisRuhr.
Conventional print poster (debated)
Size is A0 (height: 120 cm, width 90 cm). Poster format is portrait. Poster presentation time will be two minutes plus two minutes of discussion. Poster presentations do not require any PowerPoint presentations. All posters shall be put up in the morning of the presentation at the poster boards established and all posters have to be removed in the evening. Pre-upload is NOT required.
NOTE: Pin up your poster at designated spot (poster board) at 8:00 h in the morning on the day of your presentation. Remove your poster at 18:00 h in the evening of the day of your presentation. Posters that have not been removed by 18:00 h will be removed by the ECSS.
E-poster (not debated)
The format requires pre-upload of an e-poster in pdf format (one slide only) in landscape (horizontal). The e-poster must be pre-uploaded right in advance of the congress via your ECSS account (deadline 15th June 2017). For more information on e-poster upload please click here. Abstracts accepted in this format will be published in the Book of Abstracts of the ECSS MetropolisrRuhr 2017 congress. At the same time the e-poster will be made available online and on screen at the 22nd annual congress of the ECSS in MetropolisRuhr.
E-poster and Mini-Oral submission opens 15th of May 2017.
Why am I not in my preferred presentation category?
- The author may state preference for the type of presentation (oral or e-poster). The final decision however lies upon the Scientific Committees and is also due to the settings of the Scientific Programme.
Is it possible to present a colleagues’ abstract as a substitute?
- The submitted abstract must be presented at the congress by the first author.
Young Investigator Awards
What is the YIA?
- One of the key objectives of the ECSS is the promotion of junior scientists and the fostering of state-of-the-art research. For this purpose the ECSS together with Mars Inc. established the Young Investigators Award (YIA). The YIA is granted with generous cash prices to support up-coming junior scientists, who present outstanding scientific work at the annual ECSS congresses in both oral and mini-oral competitions.
Are there any requirements to participate in the YIA?
- To successfully apply for the YIA, please meet all YIA requirements listed here.
How do I apply for the YIA?
- You will be able to choose to apply for the YIA within your abstract submission process.
What are the YIA reviewing criteria?
- Please find the YIA reviewing criteria here.
How do I know that my YIA application is successful?
- Once you have applied for the YIA, you will be able to check your YIA application status in your ECSS account anytime.
Why have I been rejected as a YIA applicant?
- If your YIA application has been rejected, we very much regret that you have not fulfilled the YIA criteria. However, please note that your abstract then underwent the reviewing process for non-YIA abstracts. We hope to welcome you as a congress participant at 22nd Annual Congress of the European College of Sport Science – ECSS MetropolisRuhr 2017.
My way around in MetropolisRuhr
Where is the congress centre
- Messe Essen, Essen, Germany
Where are the hotels?
- The ECSS has negotiated a large number of hotel rooms at attractive rates in several categories of hotel ranging from budget to four-star hotels. These rates are only available through the congress website. You will find that all of these hotels offer quality lodging including breakfast. Most hotels have car park facilities and a lot of the hotels are located within walking distance to the congress venue. Please find more information here.
How do I make my hotel reservation?
- Please follow the instructions here.
Can ECSS book hotels for me?
- The ECSS does not book hotels for the participants.
After ECSS MetropolisRuhr 2017
How do I get my ECSS Congress payment receipt?
- You can access your ECSS account through the Login section to the website. Once you are logged in to your ECSS account, please scroll down. Underneath your account details, there is a section containing your congress data. If you have paid your congress registration fee you are able to click on 'congress payment receipt'.
- Please NOTE: The receipt is only available until the 1st September 2017.
How do I receive a confirmation of participation?
- Please access your ECSS account through the Login section to the website. Once you are logged in to your ECSS account, please scroll down to 'myCongress data administration'. After the congress you will be able to click on 'letter of attendance'.
- Please NOTE: The receipt is only available until the 1st September 2017.