ECSS aims to support the green values when organising the annual congresses. In 2017 we want to build on what we have achieved with the previous congresses in Malmö and Vienna. The city of Essen provides a great setting to continue the support of green values as it has won the European Green Capital Award for 2017.
ECSS - Congress sustainability guidelines and actions
- The ECSS compensates the carbon footprint of flights/travels to the ECSS winter meeting and the ECSS summer meeting (ECSS Congress) of all ECSS Board and Committee members and the ECSS Office staff members by offsetting costs in renewable energy projects of atmosfair. Please see the donation certificate here.
Become active and compensate your carbon footprint of your travels coming to the ECSS MetropolisRuhr 2017 as well!
Print products & environmental friendly products
- An eco-friendly solution will be used in all of the print products the ECSS will produce, including Final Programme, Book of Abstracts (print on demand).
- Paper waste will be minimized. For example, the congress badges will be only printed on demand.
- Email is used to communicate with the delegates, organizers and other stakeholders.
- Congress bags will be environmental friendly products and the badges from previous congress are reused.
- The congress hotel in particular and the various hotels ECSS has negotiated with follow green standards. We recommend you to choose your accommodation, which is committed to eco-friendly standards. Please find more information here.
- The catering services at the congress venue Messe Essen will be provided by a caterer committed to corporate responsibility standards and environmental sustainability. Please read more about the corporate responsibility of the caterer here.
- The exhibitors are advised to follow the rules and regulations below and all recommendations are communicated towards exhibitors in the Exhibitors Manual.
RECOMMENDATIONS for participants
- In corporation with Deutsche Bahn (German Railway) the ECSS provides the DB Event Ticket to use sustainable transport within Germany and to get the best price ticket for your train ride. Travel easy from any destination in Germany (incl. German airports) to Essen. Please find more information and book your train ticket here.
- Compensate your carbon footprint of your travels coming to the ECSS MetropolisRuhr 2017 by supporting renewable energy projects of atmosfair. Many activities especially air travel cause massive climate-damaging CO₂ emissions. Act now and support atmosfair to compensate greenhouse gases through the use of renewable energies. Please read more information and compensate here!
The Ruhr Metropolis Region is easily accessible with public transportation and travelling from a city to city within the area is fast and easy. We encourage all participants to use the railway network and purchase the event ticket from Deutsche Bahn (German Railway).
- As a congress participant we encourage you to use the public transportation to get around in the city and the Ruhr region. Please find more information here.
- The closest airport to reach the city of Essen is the Düsseldorf International Airport. It only takes 20 minutes to reach the Essen Main Train Station from the airport. Please find more information here.
- Please note that the congress badges will be collected for reuse on the last day of the congress near the entrance.
- We are reusing the badges from previous congresses.
- Congress bags are environmental friendly products.
RULES & REGULATIONS for exhibitors
- Only reusable dishes are allowed.
- Waste produced at the congress venue must be disposed according to the waste management system.
- All materials used at the responsibility of the exhibitor (stand, roll-up, decoration etc.) are reusable and will be reused.
- No cans and only reusable bottles as give-aways.
- Decrease of give-aways at the booth and use of products without extra packaging.
- Distribution of give-aways made from ecologically accepted material and/or with a quality label.
- Reduction of printed media.
- Usage of refillable packaging.
- Utilisation of reusable materials for the booth construction wherever possible.
- Avoidance of a coffee machine with a capsule system, cans and plastic bottles.
We very much appreciate your contribution, your support and your efforts to make ECSS MetropolisRuhr 2017 a more sustainable congress!